Updates for Week Ending Jan. 8
Dear Students and Parents/Guardians:
We hope you had a chance to recharge and restore during the winter break. As we work to keep you informed during second semester, please continue to check your email and the ETHS website for the most up-to-date information.
We are resharing important information from a December update related to Enhanced E-learning for third quarter as ETHS continues to prioritize the health and safety of our students and staff. Details are also available on the Reopening Plan of the ETHS website:
- While ETHS is planning for remote learning and work at this point, we continue to monitor the guidance of the Illinois Department of Public Health and other infectious disease experts. This guidance is considered in particular as it relates to teen populations and our high school of more than 4,000 students and staff.
- If conditions permit, ETHS plans to transition to a hybrid model by the fourth quarter. While metrics are a factor, there is not a specific “formula” for making a transition during second semester. The mitigation efforts in the state/region and the guidance of the Illinois State Board of Education and Illinois Department of Public Health are also among the factors.
- The goal, as always, is to return to ETHS in-person with a regular, predictable schedule while minimizing the spread of COVID-19 in our community. ETHS evaluates on a regular basis how and when to bring back students and staff in a hybrid environment that aligns with our guiding principles.
- The fluid nature of the pandemic, especially during the winter months, requires continued flexibility with planning at ETHS. Planning is not contingent on an ideal set of circumstances, but rather is adapted to the current conditions.
- Any plans for a transition to a hybrid model during second semester will be communicated at least 30 days in advance. ETHS is committed to preparing students and staff for what to expect in a hybrid environment. A shorter timeline may apply to updates or changes to extracurricular activities.
The online calendar is also an important resource for students and families. Please keep in mind that some events or programs may be targeted to specific grades or groups.
- Dr. Witherspoon and Dr. Campbell will host E-Town LIVE on Friday, January 8. Tune in at 8:00am for the latest updates.
- Class of 2022: All parents and guardians of ETHS juniors are encouraged to virtually attend College Planning Night on Thursday, January 14 at 6:30pm.
- Family Action Network will virtually host Group: How One Therapist and a Circle of Strangers Saved My Life with Christie Tate on January 14 at 7:00pm.
- Class of 2025: Incoming Freshman Course Selection Night will be held virtually on January 20-21.
- Monday, January 18: No school for students and staff in observance of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
Thank you for your efforts to follow health and safety guidance as we navigate the challenges ahead with COVID-19. ETHS continues to offer resources such as the ETHS Virtual Mindfulness Studio Wednesdays & Fridays, 6th & 7th period, ETHS mindfulness coach request, Rebel Human website, ETHS Virtual Calming Room, social work referral, social emotional learning check-ins, and more to support students, families, and staff.
Evanston Township High School