Summer School Update 2021
Dear ETHS Students and Parents/Guardians:
Thank you for your patience as ETHS works to finalize plans for Summer School 2021. The following email contains important updates about summer school courses available for current ETHS students in grades 9-12.
Modes of Instruction During Summer School
Courses will be designated as either in-person instruction OR fully remote instruction. There will not be simultaneous hybrid classes with some students attending instruction in-person and some students attending instruction virtually. Please note that in-person instruction courses may be adjusted in response to changes in public health guidelines or quarantine requirements.
Summer School Dates and Hours
ETHS Summer School 2021 for current ETHS students will begin on Thursday, June 3rd and end on Wednesday, July 14th. The first two Fridays, June 4th and June 11th will be attendance days. There will be no school on Fridays beginning on June 18th.
Summer school courses will occur within the timeframe of 8:00am-1:30pm. The start and end times for each class will be indicated on the Course Selection Guide.
- 26-Day Courses will start on June 3rd and end on July 14th. Classes will be scheduled for 8:00am-10:30am or 11:00am-1:30pm
- 13-Day Courses will operate during Session 1 (June 3rd - June 22nd) or during Session 2 (June 23rd - July 14th). These classes are scheduled for 8:15am - 1:15pm.
Summer School 2021 Course Offerings
Academic Recovery Courses
All core academic courses required for graduation will be available to students who need to repeat an English, Math, History, Science, or PE course due to failure. Most of these classes will be structured in an in-person instructional format. A separate, fully-remote instructional course option will be available for these courses upon request.
These courses will be offered at no cost to students. All academic recovery courses will operate in a 26-Day Format. Enrollment for recovery courses will occur in May through your student’s counselor.
Eligible students will be invited to participate in reading, math, Extended School Year (ESY), and English as a Second Language (ESL) enrichment course opportunities. These courses will be offered at no cost to students. The format of these courses will vary. Registration for these courses will be completed by the enrichment program coordinators.
Academic Advancement Courses
ETHS will be offering several elective course opportunities for students during summer school. Standard registration and tuition fees will apply to these courses. Below is a preview of the courses that we expect to offer. A final Summer Course Selection Guide will be published on April 14th.
The following courses are open to current students in grades 9-12:
- Wellness (26-Day In-Person)
- Introduction to Drawing and Painting (26-Day In-Person)
- Contemporary Adult Life (26-Day In-Person)
- Intro to Journalism (26-Day In-Person)
- Drivers Education (26-Day In-Person) Must be 15 years old before June 3, 2021.
- Innovating Through Design in Our Community (13-Day In-Person)
- NSERVE Careers in Business and Law (14-Day REMOTE) **6/14-7/1
- NSERVE Careers in Engineering and Nanotechnology (14-Day REMOTE) **6/14-7/1
The following courses are open to current students in grades 10-12
- American Legal Systems (13-Day In-Person)
- Economics (13-Day REMOTE) Offered Session 1 ONLY
- Astronomy (26-Day In-Person)
ETHS will be utilizing a Course Request Process for Academic Advancement Courses.
Course Request Timeline (Academic Advancement Courses Only)
- Summer Course Selection Guide Published April 14th
- Course Request Form Opens April 15th
- Course Request Form Closes April 22nd
- Students and Families will be notified of course assignments on or before April 30. Registration and tuition fee payment will be required to confirm your seat in the course.
If you have any questions about Summer School, please call the Summer School Office at 847-424-7963, Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit the Summer School pages of the ETHS website to prepare for an exciting learning experience.
Director of Summer School