COVID Testing for ETHS Students Begins in October; Opt Out Information
Dear Students and Parents & Guardians,
ETHS District 202 has partnered with the University of Illinois (SHIELD) program to conduct COVID testing, which supports our efforts to monitor and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in our school community. Non-invasive testing for COVID-19 will be performed on a voluntary basis at ETHS and is free to all current students.
ETHS will begin weekly COVID testing of unvaccinated students the week of October 11, 2021. Testing is a saliva (spit) test that will occur on a designated day each week during school hours (no appointments necessary).
- As a reminder, in October ETHS will be requiring proof of vaccination (or a negative COVID test result within 72 hours) for certain ETHS events. This includes student participation in some extracurricular activities. Unvaccinated students who want to participate in extracurricular and athletic activities will not be able to opt out of testing.
- Please be aware that the weekly SHIELD test can be used for the purpose of unvaccinated students being able to participate in extracurricular and athletic activities and events that will require a negative COVID test result.
- For students with symptoms of COVID or concerns about a COVID exposure, they should stay home and can make an appointment through the school-based Health Center if already registered. If your student is not registered with the Health Center, they can make an appointment and bring the consent form signed by their parent/guardian.
- Do not come to school any time you are ill or have new or different symptoms, including but not limited to: fever, sore throat, loss of sense of smell, muscle or body aches, new cough, vomiting, or diarrhea. https://www.eths.k12.il.us/Domain/460
Students at every grade level are able to participate in the testing process. If you would like your unvaccinated student(s) to participate in the SHIELD saliva testing program and be eligible to participate in extracurricular activities and attend events, no action is required.
If a parent/guardian chooses to opt out of the testing program for each of their student(s), please complete the SHIELD Opt-Out Form no later than September 20, 2021.
- An original signature on the Opt-Out Form from a parent or guardian is required.
- Completed forms must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Parents/guardians should send the signed and completed Opt-Out Form from the email address listed in their student’s record.
Eric Witherspoon, Ph.D.