Safety Guidelines for Athletics
For the safety of our student-athletes, coaches, and community, the following safety guidelines must be followed every day at every practice and contest. Students that do not follow these guidelines will be removed from participation. Programs that do not follow these procedures will have their seasons suspended.
- Students, coaches, and staff should conduct their own “screening” prior to coming to ETHS via myETHS for students and the ETHS custom app for coaches. Please see the Health Screenings and Certification page for details.
- Face masks must be worn at all times inside and outside of the building with the following exceptions:
- When students are in the pool
- When gymnasts are actively engaged on their apparatus
- When competing in low-risk outdoor sports including baseball, softball, tennis, and track & field. Students must continue to wear masks in these sports and activities when they are not actively competing.
- Students and coaches must be socially distanced by 6 feet except when actively engaged in athletic activities.
- Participants must bring their own water bottles as access to water will not be available.
- Shared equipment (if used) will be sanitized every 15-20 minutes by coaches. During that time, students will have a water break and should clean their hands with hand sanitizer. Each facility has sanitizer if a student is unable to provide their own.
- Only one student will be allowed to use the bathroom at a time (please plan accordingly).
- If a student or coach learns that they have come into contact with someone that tested positive for COVID-19, they must notify the Athletic Director immediately. The Evanston Health Department will make a final decision about their future participation.
- All participants of a contest will be screened for COVID symptoms prior to the contest by their own school.
- Each sport will follow different safety guidelines specific to their sport.
- Spectators are permitted at ETHS home contests outside. Limited spectators are allowed for indoor contests. Please check with your coach regarding guidelines for indoor contests and away contests.
- Families will have the option to transport their student to away contests. If a student takes the transportation provided by ETHS, that student must take that same transportation back to ETHS unless their parent/guardian signs the Transportation Release Form. Only students in the same pod will be allowed on the same bus.