About the Safety Department
The Safety Department is committed to creating a safe, welcoming environment for students, families, staff, and visitors.
ETHS staff meet regularly with the City of Evanston's police and fire departments and community partners to collaborate on risk assessment, emergency planning and responses, and to provide training to staff and students. Safety personnel provide security coverage for the 1.2 million square foot school building and 62-acre campus 24 hours a day, everyday, including holidays and weekends.
The primary functions of the Safety Office are:
- Provide security coverage in school and around campus
- Monitor entrances and visitor check-in
- Assist students and staff with conflict resolution
- Manage student and staff ID card center
- Provide security at various school events
- Oversee key control
- Manage the school's lost and found
- Coordinate school safety drills
- Oversee the school's safety plan and safety committee
- Respond to crisis incidents, alarms or disturbances on campus
- Collaborate with law enforcement agencies and first responders
- Assist in resolving district emergency maintenance issues that occur after hours or weekends
- Provide traffic safety services during the school day and at various school events
School Safety Plan
ETHS has a School Safety Plan which includes a comprehensive emergency management plan.
Text the word "CRIMES (274637)" and keyword ETHS
This hotline is available to all students, staff, and parents/guardians who are aware of anything that will impact the safety of students and staff on campus during the school day. The confidential tips will be sent to a special team of school administrators and safety officers who will monitor and respond by text message on regular school attendance days. ETHS Text-A-Tip is available from 8:00am – 4:00pm on regular school days, and during Summer School attendance days (Monday-Thursday) from 8:00 am – 1:00 pm.
Text the word "CRIMES (274637)" and use the keyword ETHS at the beginning of your message, followed by a detailed text message. All tips are anonymous.
If a crime is in progress, or if there is an emergency, please call 911. For non-attendance days or after school hours tips, tipsters are encouraged to use the Evanston Police Department Text-A-Tip line, which is monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Director of SafetyMatthew DriscollAssistant Director of SafetyTerrence DobyEmergency: 911
In-School Safety Crisis Line: 211
Non-emergency Safety Line: 847-424-7500
Text-A-Tip (8am-4pm on regular school days): Text the word "CRIMES (274637)" and use keyword ETHS at the beginning, followed by a detailed message.Office Location: H102
Regular Summer Monday-Thursday 8:00am-4:30pm 8:00am-4:30pm Friday 8:00am-4:00pm Closed