Summary and Framework
The ETHS reopening plan is based on guidance from the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE), Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), and Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
- The state’s Restore Illinois document provides overarching guidance and a broad framework for the “reopening” of the state.
- Due to the uncertainty of the pandemic, the reopening plan will continue to evolve and is subject to change as conditions may require.
- Maintain a healthy and safe environment for all students and staff;
- Maintain our commitment to equity;
- Provide meaningful and engaging academic experiences for all students;
- Address the social and emotional needs of all students and staff;
- Provide consistency and stability for all students and staff; and
- Provide professional development for staff that enhances e-learning.
Educators have been asked to transform the educational environment.
- School will not look or feel the same as before.
- Every school is different. What works for one may not work another.
- Flexibility remains essential.
- ETHS is constantly monitoring local conditions, which at times change daily.
ETHS Planning Process
ETHS values the relationship between students, teachers, and families. Our goal is to return to in-person learning with careful and deliberate planning.
- During the past few months, ETHS has been working on a reopening plan led by a Task Force and subcommittees of about 100 people that included teachers, students, and non-instructional staff.
- A Student/Guardian Poll was distributed on June 30, 2020.
- A Staff Poll was distributed on July 13, 2020.
Starting August 17th, every ETHS student will participate in Enhanced E-learning until further notice.
- School happens every day through the remote learning model, both synchronous and asynchronous.
- Enhanced e-learning will include high academic expectations and requirements for attendance, grading, live synchronous class sessions, and assessments.
- The remote learning model at ETHS has been improved since crisis learning in the spring.
Additional information is available in Enhanced E-Learning Guidelines for 2020-21.
General student expectations
- Students will use Google Classroom as the Learning Management System in all their classes.
- Students attend school via e-learning every school day and complete a daily attendance check-in form daily.
- Students attend live learning sessions during scheduled periods.
- Assignments are completed as assigned.
Enhanced E-learning includes social emotional learning.
- Efforts to meet social emotional needs of students within academic instruction and curriculum have been further developed.
- Access to mental health services for students, resources for families and staff, communication, and school-wide support for social emotional learning has increased.
If conditions permit, ETHS may transition to a hybrid model that includes in-person instruction for students.
- ETHS has developed hybrid and in-person learning models adhering to safety requirements and will continue building the models to be responsive and adaptable to changing conditions.
- ETHS will continue to prioritize the health and safety of all students and staff.
ETHS staff will prepare for the 2020-21 school year remotely.
- ETHS will not delay the start of the school year. The first day of school is Monday, August 17.
- ETHS staff will receive COVID-19 training.
- Participation in extracurricular activities, including sports, will be determined at a later date.
- In-person events will not be held on the ETHS campus without administrative approval.
Expectations and protocols
- Health screenings: ETHS will have a self-certification process to enter the building.
- ETHS will continue to follow guidelines for wearing face coverings, social distancing, and other health measures.
- Frequent cleaning and sanitizing on campus will continue.
- Visits to ETHS will be kept to a minimum. Visitors must have a confirmed appointment and follow all protocols.
Look for details in the coming weeks.
- ETHS back-to-school information will be framed with the remote plan in mind.
- There will be a curbside plan for receiving learning materials and classroom supplies.
- Meal distribution information will be shared prior to the first day of e-learning.
The 2020-21 school year will not be “business as usual.”
- ETHS continues to assess the learning models (remote, hybrid, in-person) and will partner with all stakeholders to make adjustments.
- ETHS acknowledges the social emotional impact of these learning models on our students and staff. Wellbeing efforts will continue to be a primary focus.
Planning for the unknown
- Guidance will change as the state moves in and out of different phases and as the community landscape remains fluid.
- ETHS staff, students, and families will be notified in advance if and when the reopening details are updated.
View the ETHS Reopening Plan Presentation
Virtual E-Town Hall
Wednesday, July 22 at 6:00pm
- Event is expected to last about one hour.
- View the event live on the ETHS YouTube channel.
- Students and families should check their email for details.
- June and July poll results will be shared.