ETHS District 202 continues to partner with the University of Illinois (SHIELD) program to conduct COVID testing, which supports efforts to monitor and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in the school community. Non-invasive testing for COVID-19 will be performed at ETHS and is free to all current students. ETHS will work to protect the privacy and confidentiality of students who participate in COVID testing.
If a student is vaccinated and has not yet submitted proof, please complete the Proof of Covid Vaccination for Students as soon as possible.
COVID Testing at ETHS
Who: All students, regardless of vaccination status
When: Students will test during their PE/Wellness class. PE classes will be running with continued appropriate modifications per CDC, IDPH and Evanston Health Department guidance. Please note that swimming classes are not running at this time. ETHS will make additional modifications in classes when students request this to their PE teacher.
Where: On campus; staff will help direct students to their testing area
What: SHIELD test - a free, non-invasive diagnostic test for the COVID-19 virus
How: Collecting a saliva (spit) deposit in less than five minutes, which provides results in 24-48 hours; students should not eat, drink, or chew gum 60 minutes before providing a saliva sample.
Students will scan into the testing site using a QR code. The QR code should be saved on their Chromebook or phone.
Tips for Submitting a Successful Saliva (Spit) Test
In the hour before the test:
- Do not drink fluids (including water)
- Do not eat
- Do not brush or floss your teeth, or use mouthwash
- Do not chew gum
You may also want to rinse or gargle your mouth with water to remove any discoloration (such as from coffee) or small pieces of food. Be sure to do this at least one hour before your test.
At the test:
- Pool your drool under your tongue with your face mask on.
- Drool into your funnel and tube; keep your face mask on between spit deposits.
- Slide the tip of your tongue along your gums behind your teeth to stimulate your salivary glands and deposit this saliva in the funnel.
- Avoid swishing saliva in your mouth or pulling saliva from the back of your mouth.
- COVID testing is administered by our SHIELD-designated third-party partner Zebra Health.
- SHIELD testing was developed at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and has a sensitivity rate of 97% and an accuracy rate of 99%.
- Families will be notified of any positive test results.
- In addition to you receiving your child’s test results, ETHS Health Services and designated school administrators will also receive your child’s test results, consistent with IDPH guidance and the Illinois Control of Communicable Disease Code.
- If a student has tested positive for COVID and they are not vaccinated, they will be required to participate in weekly SHIELD testing for 90 days after testing positive.