Conferences: What to Expect
- Conferences last five (5) minutes each and they are scheduled in 5-minute blocks.
- Please arrive on time and work with the teacher to end promptly after 5 minutes.
- Try to be in a quiet and private place as conferences may involve sensitive information.
- Some additional considerations when using video conferencing for this event:
- Do not share Google Meet links with anyone who will not be attending the conference.
- If your student is attending the conference with you, consider inviting your student to attend on the same computer.
- Do not share Google Meet links on social media. Sharing the link can attract unwanted participants to the virtual conference.
- Consider your background and surroundings when video conferencing.
- Mute when you’re not talking. (Click the microphone icon.) Use the spacebar to quickly unmute or click on the microphone icon to talk.
Grade-level deans, counselors, social workers, and psychologists, as well as nurses are also available to meet during conferences. Please contact the staff member to schedule an appointment to meet via Google Meet or phone.
For Conferences at ETHS, teachers will use Google Meet as their platform for video conferences. This popular web conferencing tool is simple to use, but if you are not familiar with it, you may benefit from familiarizing yourself with the application before your scheduled conference. Please review the information below to best prepare you to attend your child’s video conference.
Alternative Conference Methods
If Google Meet technology is not available for scheduled conferences, contact the teacher directly to make alternative arrangements. Click here to view the staff directory and locate teacher email addresses. Include the phone number to reach you and your student’s designated conference time slot. The teacher will call the guardian.
Attending the Google Meet Conference
You will receive an email from ETHS (from the email address email@example.com) with a link to access PowerPTC, our online conference portal, containing links to attend your child’s video conferences. A PDF is also attached to that email containing video links. In the event that a meeting link is changed, links will be updated in the online portal.
When the conference time has arrived, click on the link found in the portal or PDF to join the Google Meet conference. To open the link from the PDF, you may need to download the PDF to click on the link. You may also be able to copy and paste the link from the PDF into your browser.
If prompted for your name, please use the following convention: Your Name (Student Name).
When you enter the call, you will be placed in the teacher’s waiting room. The teacher will let you into the call when it is your turn.
For more information about attendee controls such as mute/unmute, changing your name, chat, etc. reference this Google Meet Support pages.
Using the Waiting Room
ETHS Teachers will use the Waiting Room feature of Google Meet as a holding place for families waiting for their conferences. This is a virtual space that shows the teacher who is waiting to enter the video call. While in the waiting room, you can test to see if your speaker and microphone are working using the link at the bottom of the window. The teacher will let you in when it is time for your conference.