Registration Process for Transfer Students

  • If your child is currently in grade 9, 10, 11 or 12 and your child is transferring to ETHS from an Illinois public school, private or parochial school, a school outside of Illinois or outside of the U.S., follow these steps:

    Verify Student Lives in District Boundaries 

    In order to register to attend Evanston Township High School District 202, students must live within district boundaries on a full-time permanent basis (seven days and seven nights). The District 202 attendance area includes the City of Evanston and a small portion of Skokie. Please verify that your child lives within our District's attendance area before completing these registration steps.

    STEP 1 - Complete Online Enrollment

    If your child has never been enrolled at ETHS, go to the Online Enrollment page to register a new account and begin the enrollment process. Once you complete the online form, you must click "Submit" at the bottom of the page in order for ETHS to receive the form.

    If you have questions at this step, contact the Student Enrollment Specialist at (847) 424-7915.

    STEP 2 - Submit Residency Documents

    You must complete Step 1 before submitting required documents. Online registration forms that are more than one month old without submitted required documents will be deleted. In order to complete the registration process, the registering parent/guardian must bring the following documents to ETHS in person:
    • Student's original birth certificate (translated into English, if necessary) 
    • Proof of residency documentation from Category A and Category B (see chart below)

    If you have questions at this step, contact the Residency Officer at (847) 424-7182.

    Once you have completed Step 2 you will have a brief consultation with the Registrar's Office to review enrollment documents. 


    STEP 3 - Submit Enrollment Documents

    In order to begin the enrollment process, the registering parent/guardian must bring the following documents to ETHS:

    • Official transcripts from all high schools attended
    • Withdrawal Form from the last school attended -or- 8th Grade Diploma
    • Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) Student Transfer Form (if transferring from Illinois public school)
    • Current IEP/504, if applicable

    If your student is transferring from a private school or out of state school, at time of submitting enrollment documents proving residency a “Good Standing Form” will be faxed/emailed to the last school attended.  Once the form is returned to the Registrar’s office and found that your student is leaving in “good standing”, you will move forward in the enrollment process.

    If you have questions at this step, contact the Registrar’s Office at (847) 424-7180.

    STEP 4 - Submit Health Documents

    Submit school physical and immunizations in the Nurses' Office, N121. A physical examination within one year of starting school or a copy of previous high school exam. If the previous high school exam was within the state of Illinois, it will be accepted from any high school year. If the exam was done outside the state of Illinois, it must have been done within one year of enrollment at ETHS.

    If you have questions at this step, contact the Nurses' Office at (847) 424-7260.

    STEP 5 - Attend Enrollment Meeting

    The Registrar will schedule an Enrollment Meeting with the registering parent or guardian and student(s). During this meeting, the transfer student(s) will complete an online Transfer Student Questionnaire and important documents will be reviewed. A placement testing date will be scheduled during this meeting.

    STEP 6 - Take Required Testing

    ETHS uses the Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) test as one measure to determine course placement. Arrive at the Registrar’s Office, S127, on the scheduled date and time for placement testing appointment. Visit the ETHS placement process page for more information about the placement process and placement testing. ETHS will accept official MAP score reports from other schools as long as they are no more than 1 year old.

    If you have questions regarding placement testing, contact the ETHS Testing Coordinator.

    STEP 7 - Pay Annual School Fees & Bus Pass

    Pay fees in the Student Accounts office (H110) or online. Fees must be paid annually. Fee waivers for annual school fees are granted on a yearly basis to those families whose students qualify for the Free and Reduced Price Meal Program - complete the online application if you believe you qualify.

    For transportation options, please see the Parking and Transportation page. If your student uses public transportation, purchase a Ventra card in the Student Accounts Office (H110) and reinstate annually.

    STEP 8 - Meet with a Counselor to Review Course Options

    Preview the online Course Selection Guide and attend your scheduled counselor meeting to review and request course options. The Counseling Office will schedule a counseling appointment once the enrollment folder is received from the Registrar and Steps 1-6 are complete.

    STEP 9- Attend Transfer Student Orientation

    Transfer students and their families can attend Transfer Orientation in August to learn more about ETHS, meet with a counselor and receive important information.

    Si necesitan ayuda en español por favor llamen a la Oficina del Enlace latino al (847) 424-7166.

Required Proof of Residency Documents

  • You must provide documents from BOTH Category A and Category B.
     Category A – One (1) of the following documents: Category B –  Two (2) of the following documents
    • Real estate or property tax bill
    • Signed lease (Lease must expire after the first day of school for the upcoming school year)
    • Mortgage document or payment book
    • Illinois Housing Assistance Letter
    • Military housing letter
    • Residency Attestation Letter
    • Public aid card
    • Gas bill
    • Medicaid card
    • Electric bill
    • Food stamp card
    • Water/Sewer bill
    • Credit card statement
    • Phone bill (no cell bill)
    • Pay check stub
    • Cable bill
    • City sticker receipt
    • Vehicle registration
    • Driver’s license/State ID
    • Bank statement