Required Proof of Residency Documents

  • You must provide documents from BOTH Category A and Category B.
     Category A – One (1) of the following documents: Category B –  Two (2) of the following documents
    • Real estate or property tax bill
    • Signed lease (lease must be currently valid or start before the first day of school for the upcoming school year)
    • Mortgage document or payment book
    • Illinois Housing Assistance Letter
    • Military housing letter
    • Residency Attestation Letter
    • Public aid card
    • Gas bill
    • Medicaid card
    • Electric bill
    • Food stamp card
    • Water/Sewer bill
    • Credit card statement
    • Phone bill (no cell bill)
    • Pay check stub
    • Cable bill
    • City sticker receipt
    • Vehicle registration
    • Driver’s license/State ID
    • Bank statement

    For enrollment to be complete, you must also provide an original birth certificate.

McKinney Vento - Education for Homeless Children and Youth

  • Evanston Township High School District 202 is committed to providing the delivery of services to children and youth and their families to ensure reduction of barriers to enrollment and academic participation. Please navigate our website for information about how to register, enroll, and receive services at ETHS for homeless children, youth, and their families.

    To enroll or register to receive services at ETHS under McKinney Vento:

    Please speak with the Residency officer in S127, or contact the Residency Officer at (847) 424-7182 or

    ETHS has a McKinney-Vento Liaison for Families in Temporary Living Situations who serves as an advocate for families:

    Associate Principal, Student Services
    McKinney-Vento Liaison for Families in Temporary Living Situations
    (847) 424-7575
    Office Location E125

    The McKinney-Vento Act (Section 725) defines “homeless children and youth” (school-age and younger) as:

    • Children and youth who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence, including children and youth who are:
      • Sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason.
      • Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to lack of alternative adequate accommodations.
      • Living in emergency or transitional shelters.
      • Abandoned in hospitals.
      • Awaiting foster care placement.
    • Children and youth who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings.
    • Children and youth who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings.
    • Migratory children who qualify as homeless because they are living in circumstances described above.
    • The term unaccompanied youth includes a youth not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian. This would include runaways living
    • in runaway shelters, abandoned buildings, cars, on the streets, or in other inadequate housing; children and youth denied housing by their families (sometimes referred to “throwaway children and youth”); and school-age unwed mothers living in homes for unwed mothers because they have no other housing available.

    In determining whether or not a child or youth is homeless, consider the relative permanence of the living arrangements. Determinations of homelessness should be made on a case-by-case basis.

    See the Illinois State Board of Education website for more information.